I’m always looking for easy meals that can be ready when my family arrives home from church on Sunday afternoon, so it was really nice to find this recipe for Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken recipe on sallycooks.com. We make a lot of chili and chicken drumsticks in the Crock Pot, or we eat leftovers like lasagna or taco salad that can be heated or thrown together quickly.
One of the things I like about this meal is that it includes “whole” foods like chicken, veggies, olive oil, garlic, and ginger. It includes very few processed ingredients. This isn’t one of those Crock Pot meals that involves tossing in cans of cream-of-whatever soups. This is healthy stuff. What’s more: I never know if my kids will turn their noses up at new meals. They gobbled this one up!
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1-2 cups frozen broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces (I used fresh broccoli because it’s what I had.)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped or whole (Unsalted is healthier if you can find them in stores. Also, our whole family likes cashews, so I used a full cup.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe Directions:
- Layer chicken, cashews and vegetables in the slow cooker. (Optional: I did not add the cashews at this point. Just before we sat down to eat, I roasted them in the oven for about 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees to crisp them up a bit. Then I added them to the slow cooker.)
- Combine remaining ingredients except chicken broth and pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Add broth if necessary so mixture is almost completely covered.
- Cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-8 hours on low.
This meal tastes best when served over rice. Here’s how to make your own fried rice.
Fried Rice Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 servings of white or brown rice, cooked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- A dash of soy sauce
- Optional: A drizzle of sesame oil; veggies like cooked corn, cooked peas, or chopped green onion
Heat skillet or wok on high heat and add oil and eggs. Stir eggs to scramble them. Once eggs are cooked, add cooked rice and any optional veggies. Add soy sauce and sesame oil to taste and stir. Serve with Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken.
Love this Cashew Chicken Recipe? Let’s connect on social media, too:
Tags: cashew chicken