A brand collaboration with Kaufmann’s Puppy Training
One of the biggest issues new dog owners have is leash pulling.
This type of a behavior is one of the main reasons why some owners completely quit on their dogs. Putting a puppy on a leash can commonly lead to leash pulling which isn’t particularly dangerous. But it may get worse if it comes to leash reactivity and leash aggression. In other words, dogs may become extremely aggressive when placed on a leash which may cause a problem when you walk in public.
Root of the issue
Inexperienced owners think that this behavior is a result of a man dominating a dog. They think that dogs who wish to be pack leaders have trouble being submissive. But any dog can be submitted so this isn’t actually the case, advise the puppy training experts at kaufmannspuppytraining.com.
The main issue is the constraint itself.
You see, being outside is the time when the dog is happiest. Contrary to popular opinion, dogs are not house animals and will always feel better outside. When you go for a walk, puppy will be extremely happy and will try to run around (especially when it’s small and has excess energy). Given that a puppy is quite undisciplined at that age, it will lead to frustration and feeling of constraint. Dog will become fearful and being unable to run away, this will cause stress and ultimately, dog will become defensive. As the last resort, it will start exhibiting signs of aggression and will even attack.
Best ways to stop leash pulling
Like with any other training, dog has to get used to an unnatural situation. They will always behave according to their impulses and it will take time to suppress them.
Here are some tips that will hasten the process:
- If a dog is much bigger than you and you’re afraid that you’ll gonna get overpowered (or that a dog will start choking), you might consider getting adjustable equipment that will give puppy some more liberty
- Harness that is attached to chest is pretty good for young dogs who have leash issues. Instead of pressuring sensitive neck area, it will grasp a dog around its chest. As the dog gets more forceful and starts pushing forward, harness will turn its body around
- Whenever your dog starts pulling on a leash, you need to calm yourself down and stop. Puppy has to realize that it cannot go forward anymore and relax itself. This is a small thing but it is something that will teach dog discipline and will reduce its natural impulse. Even better, you can start going in a completely different direction discouraging the dog and forcing it to pace itself. Dogs often perceive leash pulling as a successful technique. Why? Because in their brain, they are still going forward. Make sure to change that perception.
- Like with any other training, you can give puppy treats whenever it stays close to you
- As an advanced method, you can start being unpredictable. You can only use this technique when a dog starts listening to you a bit. By constantly changing directions, you are telling your dog that there is no point in running to a certain spot as you might change your direction at any time. Make sure that the dog follows your commands and keep it on its toes at all times
With these simple tips you will train your dog not to pull on a leash! As a result, you will have a much better relationship and you will stimulate positive behavior.
Category: Guest Author
Tags: guest author